3.04.2010

Busy Beaver

As a 9-5er during the day and baker by night I don't get a lot of time to stop and take a photo of everything I make. I need a professional photographer to just follow me around in the kitchen. Alas, I am not an Iron Chef though. Strawberries are fading out of season here in sunny Florida so I decided to make strawberry shortcake, Shelley style. The biscuits are crumbly, slightly sweet, and soak up the juices nicely. Instead of whipped cream I decided to go with some vanilla ice cream. And for a finishing touch that adds a unique flavor I drizzled honey over the top with a shake of cinnamon.



Shortcake:
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup half & half

1. Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Cut in the butter and shortening until only small chunks are left.
3. Mix in the half & half just until blended. Do not over mix the dough or you will wind up with tough biscuits.
4. Pinch about 3 tablespoons of dough per biscuit onto non-stick sheet pan. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes at 450F or until G,B & D, baby. (Golden Brown and Delicious)


Strawberries:
1 pint of fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1/2 squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon Marsala wine (optional, can use another liquor like Grande Marnier)

1. Cut the tops off and quarter each berry.
2. Combine all ingredients together at least one hour before serving to allow the berries to weep and make the juice.

Assembly:
1. Cut the biscuit in half. Pour some of the juice from the berries onto the bottom half.
2. Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom and replace the top. Pour strawberries and a little more juice if you'd like over the top.
3. Drizzle a little honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Open mouth and insert heaven.

3 comments:

  1. These look great Shelley. Glad you had the time to take photo of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR FOOD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until strawberries are in season here as I've never tried shortcake with the cinnamon and honey before.

    ReplyDelete